NCHP is the responsible national focal point on tobacco control program in Cambodia. With the leadership of the Government and the Ministry of Health, coupled with multi-disciplinary collaboration, NCHP has outstanding achievements in tobacco control. Major achievements included:
- Reducing tobacco consumption prevalence from 48.98 % in 2005 to 43.3% in 2010 among male adults, and from 20.3% in 2005 to 17.2% in 2010 among female adults.
- Ratification of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) in 2005
- Banning usage, sales, circulation, exports and imports of SISHA and e-cigarette
- Productive functioning as head of the FCTC Secretariat
- Effective functioning as the Secretariat of the Inter Ministerial Committee on Tobacco Education and Eradication
- Developing and monitoring the compliance with legislation on health warnings
- Developing and monitoring the compliance with sub-decree on comprehensive ban of tobacco advertisement, promotion and sponsorship
- Developing and monitoring the compliance with proclamation of smoke-free public places
- Developing and implementing five-year strategic plan on tobacco control in Cambodia, 2011-2015
- Establishing smoke-free public places of 850 locations, particular in schools and health facilities
- Conducting behavioral change communications on tobacco harms to the public and community members
- Conducting launching community campaign on harmful of tobacco use, to promote awareness of community people in Kampong Chhnang provinces on harmful use of tobacco use including second-hand smoke.
- Conducting workshop on smoke free policy to promote awareness on harmful of tobacco use and to establish smoke free workplace
- Conducting workshop on harmful use of tobacco and in-door smoke-free declaration for public and private health facilities, public and private education facilities, hotels and restaurants in Kampong Chhnang Provincial Town, with 2,146 participants
- Conducting tobacco session and counseling to smokers and tuberculosis patients
- Conducting capacity building in tobacco health education and counseling. The training on quit smoking counseling 38 courses = 798 training hours with 955 participants.
- Collaborating with the Ministry of Economy and Finance to increase tobacco taxation
- Hosting and chairing the 4h ASEAN Meeting on Tobacco Control Focal Point, Seam Reap 2013
- Conducting tobacco-related social research and health care cost attributed to tobacco consumption
- Requesting to governors of provinces and city to monitor the implementation of the two sub-decree on health warning and on ban of tobacco advertisement, promotion and sponsorship
- Issuing warning letters to order tobacco companies to remove billboard, poster, pictures, leaflet displayed by the tobacco company in order to advertise tobacco products
- Sending letters to local tobacco producers, tobacco wholesalers, and retailers as well as importers of tobacco products ordering them to abide with the two sub-decrees on health warnings and ban of tobacco advertisement, promotion and sponsorship